its yummi, yummee
Ever since I incorporated kimchi into my scd for added digestive health, I’ve been toying with the idea of making it myself. The pain of lugging gigantic jars of fermented vegetables on public transportation where people give you dirty looks was wearing me thin. My arms thanks me and so does the general public. With ingredients like garlic, ginger, onions, peppers, there are undoubtedly amazing benefits.
~So many superfoods, but only so many meals in the day
Here’s my recipe:
- 1 napa cabbage
- 1/2 c kosher salt (i like diamond brand)
- water (about 12 c)
- 2-4 stems scallions, cut into 1 inch
- 2-4 stems cilantro, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 onions
- 1/4 c red pepper powder***
- 1/4 c fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar (optional(i use organic cane))
- Wash and cut your napa cabbage into squares.
- In a large mixing bowl (you might need 2), dissolved salt with water.
- Soak cabbage in the salt water mix for about 8-12hrs in room temperature.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together.
- Add cabbage and mix (use spatula or heavy gloves***)
- Store in airtight container in room temperature until desired taste then move into fridge and enjoy!
The down side here is the brine and fermentation time, but test your patience and you will be rewarded with amazing homemade kimchi!